Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CH2) Chapter 15: Slow Seduction

Emma had never walked into Seth's home before nor had she even been near the neighborhood. Her heart raced with everyone step she took out of the car and up to the door. Seth smiled at her and looked more excited then scared. She hated him for it.

Inside her mind, all she wanted to do was run down that long driveway and never look back. Run all the way home and never give Seth another thought again. Even running for miles would be much easier then what she was about to do to her mind, body, and soul.

She had seen the dramas and the movies. This never ends well for the poor girl when she meets the parents. Gold digger is what the parents always think. Uncouth and unrefined were other words which played around in her head.

Nothing registered as she walked through the house; she was only in her own thoughts. She didn't notice the furniture nor the layout of the home. Only her heartbeat and the anxiety sweats were real for her.

Seth opened a large dark wood door and smiled at his father who was smoking a cigar at his desk. He looked just as Emma had imagined him. Larger than life with a cigar in one hand and a stiff drink in another. He was frightening.

She wanted to scream when Seth shut the door behind her though she didn't even remember walking into the room. She was quite certain she had frozen in her tracks the moment she laid eyes on his father.

“Dad, this is Emma. Emma Mcclure.” Seth presented her proudly as his father put out his cigar. “Emma, this is my father, Richard Barras.”

She held out her hand to shake his own but he rejected it quickly and her heart sank while her mouth dried out. She could feel the tears forming in the back of her throat.

Richard smiled, “Let me wipe off my hands. They reek of cigar.” He pulled out a moist towelette from his desk and wiped his hands down before smelling them. “Ah, that's better.” He held out his hand again. “Don't want you wandering around smelling like an old man's cigar.”

Emma chuckled nervously as she shook his hand.

“Sit, sit.” He motioned for the chair behind her.

She looked towards Seth nervously as he was about to sit down in the chair beside her, but his father's voice disrupted him.

“No, you leave.” Richard barked.

“What?” Seth asked and looked towards Emma with an apologetic expression. He could see the anxiety on her face. It was clearer than any attack Riane had ever had in front of him.

“You brought her here to be my guest, and you aren't invited.” Richard informed him as he gave his son a stern look.

Seth said nothing more and slowly moved towards the door; all the while he apologized to Emma in his mind.

When the door closed, Emma's heart could barely take it anymore. It was terrifying enough being alone with a strange man, but this strange man wanted to tear her limb from limb.

There was a silence as Richard poured himself another drink. Emma was able to take in the all wooden room that stunk of old cigars, fireplace fires, and booze.

She had to remind herself this man was a world renown plastic surgeon, but if she had been a patient of his, she certainly wouldn't have wanted to see this horrid place. It looks like an good ole' boys club and smelled just like one as well.

Richard smiled as he sat back down at the desk, “So, Emma, I hear you are the scholarship student at CHU.”

Here it goes, looking down at her right away. She thought to herself.

“I went to school on scholarship as well. Not to CHU, but CHU is a much harder and far more sought after scholarship then any other school. Hell, they only give one of them bad boys out a year.” He took a sip of his whiskey. “Do you want something to drink? You look a little on edge.”

“Uh, oh. I am underage.”

Richard chuckled, “I believe if you are old enough to die for your country, then you are old enough to have a drink. We tell people they are adults at eighteen and then limit the things they can do until they are older. How is that allowing them to become a responsible adult? Do you know how many times I had to get a hang over, before I realized my limits. Now, do you want a drink?”

“Uh.”

He grinned, “I'll pour you one and you can drink it or not. You ever have an old fashion?” He got up and start to make her one. “It has a cherry in it, you'll love it. Besides, I only store bourbon in this room, so you'll have to make due.”

Her anxiety began to melt as Seth's father talked to her normally.

“Seth says you work at a cafe on the weekends to make ends meet, and your parents are working overtime to pay for your apartment. Decent and hardworking. My kind of people.” He said as he held out the small glass to her.

Emma took it from him with a thank you then had a sip of it. “Yes, it has been hard to make my dream of going to CHU come true. I appreciate them a lot.”

He nodded as he sat down, “Very few children appreciate their parents until its too late. It's good of you to start now.” He allowed a moment of silence to pass between them and for Emma to take another sip from her drink before speaking again. “Now, tell me, what would a wonderful, hardworking girl like yourself want with my troublemaker son?”

“Troublemaker? Seth?” She asked with shock.

“That brat has been the cause of more headaches in my life then alcohol. Skipping classes, going to clubs to get high, getting arrested, I could go on.” He took a swig of his drink.

“Seth has been arrested?” More shock from her made Richard chuckle.

“Several times. The little shit.” He took a deep breath, “Normally, I would be afraid of him dragging you down with him, but it doesn't appear to be the case. In fact, since Riane has entered Julian's life and you have entered Seth's, things have been pretty quiet around here. I do so enjoy quiet.” He finished off his drink. “Can you open the door and let him back in here? I am sure he has his ear to the door and is desperately trying to hear anything. He probably wants me to yell at you or something, so he can show you how big of a man he is to stand up to me.”

Emma laughed as she stood to open the door. When she reached for it and twisted the handle, sure enough Seth stumbled forward into the room.

“Are you drinking?” He asked to cover the embarrassment he felt.

“One shot of bourbon won't kill her. Come over here.” Richard ordered both of them and motioned for them to have a seat. After they completed the task, he inhaled deeply. “Emma, you are obviously nervous and I can understand it. I remember meeting my wife's parents for the first time and I nearly pissed myself. You are obviously a nice girl, and it is plain to see that Seth thinks the world of you. Therefore, it is only fair for me to allow you two the opportunity to date and become closer.”

“Thank you, dad!” Seth clasped his hands together.

“Eh, hold on. On one condition. I don’t think it's right to give up years of an engagement for a fledgeling romance. I want you to continue your engagement to Angela for the time being, until you two see where this is heading.” He got up and poured himself another drink. In truth, he was turning his back on them to allow them to have a silent conversation between themselves.

Emma was about to explain how she didn't want to date an engaged man, but Seth was faster to speak.

He didn't even need to look at Emma, “No.” He said clearly as his father turned around. “That isn't fair to anyone. I am not going to use Angela as if she is a back-up, or make Emma feel like she is second best in my eyes or my family's. I am going to concentrate solely on one woman and I want that woman to be Emma.”

Richard smirked at his son, “Good. I'm glad to hear it. Now, take her out on your first date. I already got her all liquored up.”

Emma and Seth looked between each other as if they weren't sure they were being tricked. She set her drink down and Seth swig the rest of it, before they both headed out the door in bewilderment.

---***---

During the movie, Riane's phone would vibrate and she would look down at the screen. The light from her phone would temporarily ruined the atmosphere he had carefully created. Of course, knowing it was another man sending her those messages ruined it far more than he would admit to himself.

When the movie finally came to an end, he knew full well she hadn't watched half of it. He wanted to question her and show her how ignorant she was of the film, but he realized he hadn't watched most of it either because he had been paying more attention to her.

He didn't know what ticked him off more now; the fact that he hadn't actually watched his new movie or that Blake wouldn't stop texting her. Perhaps, it was the giddy nature in which she received those messages from him.

As they both sat on the end of his bed with their feet dangling off the edge and their backs propped up by pillows, Julian frowned once more as she looked at her screen.

Leaning in he kissed her cheek and when she turned her head he did the same to her lips. He hoped he could win back her attention.

“What are you doing?” Riane asked playfully.

“Make-out sesh?” He tried to use the cuteness voice he could muster, but he could tell by the look on her face it wasn't going to happen.

She rolled her eyes, “Make-out? We have never made-out.”

“There is always a first time.” He winked at her and then frowned once more as she looked down at the damn buzzing phone.

Before he even considered the ramifications of his actions, he reached out and grabbed the phone away from her.

“Hey!” Riane barked.

Standing up, he put it over his head as Riane jumped up at it. “Give it back! Julian! Give me back my phone!” She soon jumped on the bed to give herself height, but Julian simply walked away. “What the hell, Julian?”

“Who are you dating?”

The question seemed to perplex her and her brows came together both in anger and confusion. “What are you going on about now?”

“Who are you dating?” He repeated.

“No one real soon, if you keep this up.” She jumped down from the bed and walked over to him to snatched his phone away, but Julian adeptly dodged her onslaught and moved to the other side of the room.

“Me or Blake?”

“What? I told you I am not going to pick between you!” She roared as she was becoming more annoyed with his antics.

“No, dumb ass. Who are you dating, me or Blake?” He cleared his throat as he stared her down. “Because right now, it feels like Blake.”

“I am sorry. We are just trying to rekindle our friendship. We have a lot to catch up on.” She stepped forward again and put out her hand for her phone which had buzzed more than half a dozen times since they started this game of keep away.

“Well, I am trying to kindle one with you, so which one do you think is more delicate? The new fire or the old?” He was almost afraid to know the answer to the question, but he asked it wouldn't any acknowledgment of worry in his voice.

“Give me my phone, Julian.” She spoke sternly.

He did so and watched her looked down at her screen. His heart dropped when he realized this was her answer. The old flame was more important, and he was simply in the way. He wanted to curse at her, to tell her to find another place to live, and demand they never see each other again. He wanted to so badly, but he simply couldn't bring himself to speak the words. He still had hope that if he stood in the way long enough, he would be the destination instead.

“See it's off.” She held it up for him to see. “No more Blake. I told him goodnight.”

Every ounce of self loathing, hatred for her, disappointment, and hurt vanished as if it had never bled into his heart in the first place. Julian smiled widely, “Hey, I am the destination!”

Riane raised an eyebrow, “What are you talking about?”

He chuckled, “On the road, I am not a stop sign or a road work ahead sign. I am the destination!” He acted as if she could fully understand where this thought process was coming from, but Riane stared at him blankly for a moment.

“Alright.” She said dryly, “What do you want to do?”

He leaned in for a kiss and she pulled away. “Make-out sesh!”

“No, Julian!” She jumped back when he reached out for her. “Stop it!” She laughed when he stuck out his tongue and began to chase her around the room.

“Let's taste each other's mouths!” He yelled as he climbed over the bed after her.

“That's disgusting!” She shouted back.

He finally caught her and tossed her onto the bed, before jumping onto the bed himself. Riane yelped thinking he was going to jump on top of her, but he landed to her side. That didn't remain however, as he quickly crawled on top of her and pinned her arms above her head.

Riane screamed loudly as he licked her forehead, “Stop it, Julian!”

He laughed as he looked down at her with playful eyes. “What you said no make-out sesh? How about puppy lick sesh?”

“No, for the love of all that is good, no puppy licks!” She cried out and tried to use her knees to kick him off, but he just lowered himself closer to her body so she couldn't wedge them into his stomach.

She continued to giggle with him as they stared into each other's eyes. “You're ridiculous.” She finally spoke but still couldn't contain her laughter.

Julian kissed her on the lips gently, and Riane's laughter slowly died down as he did it again. His right hand released her own and he placed his fingertips on the nap of her neck and stroked her cheek with his thumb.

He could see the embarrassment on her face and knew the anxiety of it all would soon have her pushing him off her. This made him decide to kiss her quickly and deeply. He hoped he could get her out of her own head for a moment and they themselves could have a moment.

She didn't fight him back and her free hand moved to rest of his shoulder. Julian lead the kiss as he could feel her uncertainty, but it was from her lack of experience not from anything to do with this shared experience.

“Will you two quiet the fuck down?” Bryce snapped as he flung the door open, “I have home...” He stopped himself when he saw the position the two were in. Jumping into the room, he tried to grab at the door handle to stop the door from moving any further in, but this action only made him fumble with it.

Riane cleared her throat and tried to sit up, while Julian didn't fight her on it, because it was obvious the moment had been ruined.

Bryce finally grabbed the door handle and slammed the door shut. “Sorry! So sorry! Please believe me, I do not want this memory! Bye!” He stuttered before heading down the hall quickly to his own room.

When he got inside, he shut the door behind him and placed his hand on his chest. This feeling he had was clear enough. He had experienced it before, but why? Why was he jealous?

---***---

Adonia hadn't been to classes since they started that week. Her mother had called her in sick and informed them she might need to take a leave of absence.

Since her return from Hawaii, she spent most of her time in her bedroom and barely ate anything. Her mind wouldn't stop thinking about the humiliating things she had done and she couldn't even explain them to herself.

She didn't really want Julian, so why did she even bother?

Was it her plan to make Riane suffer? If she was going to suffer, it would have been by stealing Julian away from her, but Riane didn't seem too bothered by her efforts. She either was oblivious to it or she simply didn't care.

It was obvious to her now when she witnessed their first kiss that the two weren't really romantically involved until that moment.

She couldn't help but wonder what they were up to during their double dates then. Were they trying to prove it to themselves or to her and Blake or maybe it was something far more sinister?

Her mind couldn't stop telling her that it wasn't until they started double dating that things went south with Blake.

Of course, she knew the truth was plain to see as well. Blake had always had feelings for Riane which was why he was never truly upset when a girlfriend left him. He acted like he hated men who played around with women, but he was no better. In fact, he was far worse.

He made the women think he had feelings and they created expectations in their mind. They never realized he was nothing more than a snake who used them for sexual conquests then tossed them to the side when they became inconvenient.

They were merely the bodies to use while Riane was the mind. The only mind he had any attraction to, but he couldn't have the body.

Her thoughts always came back to Blake. She knew it was really him that she had been trying to punish in Hawaii. It was a ridiculous notion to think he would have been bothered by it at all. She would have handed Riane back to him on a silver platter. He would have been grateful had she succeeded.

Was that what her sick mind wanted? Gratitude?

Everything she had done was humiliating and she couldn't look a single person in the eye; least of all herself.

“Adonia?” Parker's voice came from down the hall.

The door opened to Adonia's bedroom which had a queen canopy bed with the color scheme of yellow. Mostly everything in her room was yellow, except for the other pops of color such a green and any color a flower could be.

The comforter on her bed was yellow with red flowers and it covered her completely. There were dirty plates on the surfaces of the room and clothes lined the floor. Adonia's room was normally spotless, so this was a strange sight to behold for her two friends.

They looked between each other and slowly walked over to the end of the bed to sit down. Kalei picked up a piece of pizza crust from the bed and tossed it to the floor, before she could take her seat.

“Adonia, we want to talk to you.” Kalei told her with a gentle, hushed voice.

Adonia whimpered but did not produce any full words.

“Come on, Adonia.” Parker tried to pull down the comforter, but Adonia held onto it tightly. “Let us talk to you for a moment.”

More whimpering came from her but no words.

Parker took a guess as to where Adonia's bottom would be under the comforter and slapped it as hard as she could.

Adonia grabbed her butt and screamed as she sat up. “Bitch!” She cried out as Parker laughed and Kalei looked horrified.

“Kalei did it.” Parker lied with a playful giggle.

“I did not!” She was quick to deny the accusation. Her wide eyes looked between the two other women in fear that Adonia might believe her.

Parker smirked at Kalei, before turning her attention back to Adonia. “You look like shit.”

Adonia had bed head and her pajamas were obviously something she had been wearing for a while due to stains and the unpleasant odor. Of course, the odor could have just been the room in general.

“Your mom is worried about you.” Kalei told her.

They had been trying to get in touch with her for weeks, but she refused to see anything. It wasn't until Adonia's mom had enough that she called the two to come over.

“I tried to steal Julian away from Riane to get back at Blake.” She began to sob immediately. “I am humiliated! I should be killed right here and right now! I can't go on!”

Neither Kalei nor Parker really understood the link between Julian and Riane's relationship and getting back at Blake, but they both silently understood it wasn't worth getting into.

“No, you are fine. Julian and Riane are at school. They haven't said anything. Neither has Blake. He eats lunch with them now.” Parker told her. She was just hoping something she said would stick, so this part of Adonia's life would end.

Adonia tossed her head into the pillow, “Oh god, they're friends now! They've bonded over my insanity!”

Parker closed her eyes and sighed.

“No, no. Julian looks really jealous over it.” Kalei told her and hoped she was feeding into her friend's vindictive side.

Adonia looked at her with one eye, “Really?”

Both of her friends nodded.

“Yes, Julian stormed out of the cafeteria earlier this week, in fact.” Parker added. “I mean, it was pretty cold and he had to come back inside, but he sat another table.”

Adonia slow sat up, “So, they might break up?”

They both nodded and shrugged at the same time.

“I don't think Blake is helping.” Kalei could see the hope returning to her friend's eyes and she just wished it wasn't because of this information.

“Of course, Blake is trying to split them up.” Adonia grinned. “It's genius, really. Of course, you have to make Julian jealous not Riane. She's too cool. She just lets people go whenever she feels like it. No, Julian is the key here.”

“I don't know what you are talking about, but it's very disturbing and I think you need to let this go, Adonia.” Parker tried to reach out and pat her hand, but Adonia pulled it away.

“They are really fighting?” She asked Kalei who nodded.

“Why? Do you want Julian?” Kalei asked.

Adonia shrugged her shoulders, “I mean, he liked me for a long time, right? It's only fair I get first crack at him after Riane ruined my relationship with Blake.”

“Yeah, you're right.” Kalei tried to encourage her friend.

“No, no, she is not.” Parker knew she would have to be the voice of reason here. “You rejected Julian and he found someone else. It is neither Riane's nor Julian's fault that Blake secretly harbored feelings for Riane. You want to punish someone then do it to him.”

Adonia stood from her bed, “You are sure they were fighting?” She asked Kalei again and ignored Parker completely.

“Yes, one hundred percent. It was a fight. Julian is jealous of Blake.” Kalei told her and Parker smacked her.

“I need a shower.” Adonia announced before leaving the room.

“What the hell, Kalei?” Parker snapped.

“What? She's up, and she is showering. At least, she'll come to school on Monday. Whatever it takes, right? You said that.”

Parker sighed, “This can go real bad, real quick.”

---***---

Bryce finished up his homework in his room then headed down the stairs to play video games with Zachary. The two had a long standing date at the end of each evening to hang out together and enjoy a friendly competition, since video games where the only thing Bryce could actually compete with his younger brother.

Entering into the room, he tossed himself on the couch and watched as Zachary played a race car game. He didn't say anything to him, but his younger brother passed him the second controller and continued to play.

“I'll finish this and then I'll split screen it.” He told him as his eyes concentrated on the screen on the wall.

Bryce's mind wasn't really in it tonight, and he took a deep breath. “Nah, I'll just watch you. I'm tired.”

Zachary didn't respond and simply kept playing.

The eldest Swithin brother couldn't help but think of what he witnessed in Julian's room. He was embarrassed to have walked in on them, but he was more focused on the feeling which caused him panic and curiosity.

Opening up his email on his phone, Bryce scrolled down a long list until he found the one he had been looking for. It was from Catherine, the first and only girl to have made him jealous. She never saw him as anything but a friend, and he feared telling her the truth would end what little they had between them.

She was engaged now to a law student. He remembered when she told him over the phone. It was heartbreaking and it was far worse to learn over the phone, because he had to pretend to be happy. She emailed him less and less, even though they had been virtually inseparable during high school.

“Bry, you won't believe how crazy this year has been! Nathan and I have decided to get married now instead of after graduation. His family keeps harping on us about living together, and it is just getting stressful when we should be focused on our school work.

We decided to do a small ceremony at the court house, and then a bigger one after graduation. I really do hope you can come. There will be a dinner! Alcohol and food will be paid for, not that you care about money, you rich dick.

Anyway, details below. See you soon! - C”

He had read the email over and over again. He had agonized about going or lying to stay home. In the end, he made an excuse about a family vacation, which wasn't true, and told her he would definitely come to the next one.

She had been disappointed, but she understood. However, this email had been the last one in over three months. He got an occasional group text with a funny photo, but nothing connecting them together.

He didn't know if she was hurt he didn't come and this was his punishment, or if this was just the way things were now. They were apart and now they always would be.

It hurt less now. In fact, it didn't really hurt at all. He had liked hanging out with Riane when Julian was being stubborn, and he had been the one to encourage them both to be together. He had done that with Catherine and another friend of his in high school.

He had been too afraid to tell her his feelings so he pushed her away towards someone else. He always wondered if he had feelings for him back then, since she hung around him so much. Now, he would never know.

He knew Riane didn't have feelings for him. She was pretty easy to read, but he didn't think there was anything on his side either. It was confusing. Did he want Riane or was he just jealous of what Julian has?

“Hey, Zack. Remember last year when you liked that girl, but she ended up going with your friend?” Bryce couldn't bring himself to say dating when it came to elementary students. The worst they probably did was hold hands.

“Yeah. What about it?” He continued to play his game.

“How did you know you actually liked her and weren't just jealous of what your friend had?” He could barely believe he was asking an eleven year old these things, but sometimes Zachary could be insightful.

He shrugged, “I liked her before he got to her. He only went after her because I told him I liked her.” He scoffed, “It didn't matter anyway. I was too smart for her and she said she wanted to date someone from her own school. She wanted to eat lunch with him or something.”

“How did you know you liked her though?” He smirked at his younger brother's answer.

“I dunno. We liked the same games and she was nice to me. Everyone else is intimidated by my intelligence.” He bit the inside of his cheek as he made a turn in the game.

Bryce nodded his head, “I think it's more your ego then your intelligence, but I get what you are saying.”

Zachary didn't have a response for him and simply continued to stare at the screen. His face making small winces and other movements as the game continued on.

Falling into silence, Bryce thought for a moment. He asked himself if he liked Riane before her and Julian were together. It was a question he had asked himself with Catherine, and he did the same with her. He shoved her towards someone else.

Zachary looked over at his brother who was lost deep in thought. He paused the same and tossed the controller into his lap, which caused Bryce to lurch forward from the surprise.

Standing up, Zachary put his hand on his brother's shoulder. “Just stop. It'll get messy if you continue.”

Bryce watched his younger brother leave the room, and though he knew his brother was right, he didn't know if he understood the situation he was in.

Zachary went up the stairway while someone else came down. He heard Zachary yelp, followed by Riane telling Julian to stop it and leave him alone.

As they got to the bottom of the stairs, Julian went into the kitchen while Riane appeared at the doorway.

“Hey.” She said sheepishly as she leaned her shoulder against the door frame and began to play with her fingers.

“Hey.” Bryce responded back as he tried to mask whatever concern or feelings he had boiling over on the inside.

She continued to look uncomfortable, and seemed to be looking around the room for the words she wished to speak. “I am sorry we got too loud earlier.”

Clearing his throat, he sat up straight on the couch. “It is alright. I am sorry too. I should have knocked and not barged in there like that. You two deserve your privacy.”

“Oh no, we weren't... we weren't doing anything. I mean we were, but not like you might think. It was just... awkward... position.” Riane kept telling herself to abort the sentence, but the words continued to stream out of her mouth.

“Juice or tea?” Julian yelled from the kitchen.

“It's alright. It's none of my business.” Bryce told her with a gentle grin. “Let's forget it ever happened.”

“Sounds good to me.” She smiled back which made Bryce's feel relieved.

“Juice or tea, Riane? If you don't answer, I'll make an executive decision!” Julian yelled once more from across the house.

Riane sighed, “I am going to go deal with him. Goodnight, if I don't see you again today.”

“Goodnight, Riane.”

---***---

Emma hadn’t wanted to go anywhere fancy that evening, even though Seth had wanted to make their first date memorable. Little did he know a little pizza shop with arcade games could be just as memorable if not more than an expensive restaurant; where they paired your wine to your meal.

Getting Emma to smile at him the way she had during their time in Hawaii was worth all he had endured until that moment. He found himself looking at the clock on his phone time and time again as the hours ticked closer.

Only one hour left until I have to take her home he would say to himself with dread in his heart. Then time would move forward and it was soon only thirty minutes left followed by fifteen. Each time he would make the chant in his mind.

He didn’t know if he was just regretted ending the night or if the truth of the matter was he didn’t know what to do at the end of the night. He had never really dated someone he cared about before, and he didn’t want to overstep. He didn’t want to assume what she would want by the end of the night, and he feared any thing he would do in the end would simply not be correct.

The car ride home, Emma talked about the evening and told him she couldn’t wait to tell Riane they were really dating now. She was so very excited and it filled his heart with joy to know he caused this happiness within her.

“I bet we could go on double dates too!” Emma announced as he pulled the car into the driveway and into the parking spot designated for her apartment.

When he stepped out and shut his door, Emma did the same and he looked over the hood to her. “I think it would be fun, but I don’t know about Julian.”

“Why’s that?” She asked while holding the left over pizza, as they walked side by side through the small apartment complex.

He chuckled, “I don’t think Julian is in a sharing mood when it comes to Riane’s free time.”

Emma grinned, “Well, he will have to learn, besides I finally made a friend at school and I am not losing her just because she has a jealous boyfriend. It took me a while to find someone who didn’t look down on me.”

“Riane has always been a pretty awesome person. We thought she was male for the longest time, and honestly I don’t know what she did to Julian but he went from being on the warpath to signing his name Mrs. Julian Nairne on his notebooks with little hearts around it; faster then I could keep up with the change. It was like one day he was going to kill Riane and the next she was the greatest woman in the world.” Seth chuckled.

Emma followed his lead and also chuckled. “Riane told me they once were trying to break up Adonia and Blake. It looks like they succeeded, don’t you think that was a little cruel?”

He slowly shook his head, “I think they were wrong, but I don’t think they did it long enough to cause any lasting harm. From what Julian was ranting about behind the gym today told me; Blake and Adonia broke up because Blake figured out he was in love with Riane. She told Julian that Blake has promised to leave their relationship alone, but I can see why Julian was an ass today.”

She sighed, “I suppose, but trust is the only foundation a relationship can be built upon. It’s up to Riane to set it and build a home or tear it down, just as much as it is Julian’s decision too.”

“Metaphors.” He rolled his eyes, “Anyway, let’s not talk about them anymore. We just finished our first date.” He said after realizing they had been standing in front of her grayish blue door for some time now.

Emma shrugged her shoulders, “It prolonged our time together, so it was worth every moment we spent on them.”

He agreed though he didn’t want to encourage it further. “Well, I had a wonderful evening.”

She nodded her head slowly, “I did too.” She said ignoring the cold in the air which was turning her fingers to ice. It was something she would gladly suffer to take on a few more minutes with him.

Seth was in a similar position though he was wearing gloves, but his cheeks were freezing as were the tips of his ears since he had forgotten his hat. “I was wondering….” He cleared his throat and paused.

“Yes?”

He tried to figure out a way to ask her, “We never got to finish our kiss in Hawaii….” He cleared his throat again.

Emma giggled, “It never started as I recall.”

“Yes, but can it start now?”

She nodded her head as Seth leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. He didn’t linger long, but it was all his anxiety would allow.

“Is that all?” Emma asked with surprise in her voice.

“Uh, um. I didn’t want to be overzealous.” He finally admitted and the fear of disappointment set in. He had known this wouldn’t go right no matter what path he chose.

Emma grinned, “Let me then.”

Stepping towards him, she grabbed the collar of his jacket, grinned then pulled him forward. Their lips met quickly and Emma turned the kiss into a deep and slow seduction.

Seth followed her lead and found himself leaning in for more as she stepped away. His eyes opened when he realized the kiss had ended and he looked down at the smiling woman. He couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Goodnight, Seth. Let’s make plans tomorrow.” She pulled the keys from her jacket pocket and unlocked the door.

“Goodnight, Emma.” He said as he watched the door slowly close with the smiling woman behind it.

Making his way down to the car, he got inside and turned on the heat all the way smiling to himself. After a moment, he clapped his hands together as if he was giving himself a high five and continued to stare towards Emma’s door.

He let the car heat up for longer than usual before finally deciding he had to leave or it would be creepy. He held the grin on his lips the entire drive home.

-***-

Riane headed out back to the guest house in order to speak to Joe. She had been meaning to have this discussion with her for a while, but she either kept putting it off or allowed other matters to take priority.

It would be uncomfortable for her to talk to Joe about Emma and how poorly she treated her new friend, but this was not something she could never bring up. The two would eventually have to be around each other again, and she hoped she could get Joe to, at the very least, promise to be respectful to Emma in the hopes she might one day come to like her.

She knocked on the front door and heard Joe calling from inside that she would be right there. Riane had decided not to wear a hat or gloves for the short walk to the guest house, but already the bitter cold were biting at her fingertips and ears.

Joe opened the door wearing nothing by a pajama shirt that fell to her mid-thigh, which was odd for being nearly noon, even if it was a Saturday. Her friend smiled widely and in a chipper voice greeted her, “Hey, Riane!” She said it rather loudly as if she was announcing her to someone else in the house.

“May I come in?” Riane motioned to the living room and Joe immediately stepped aside.

Closing the door behind her friend, Joe practically bunny hopped to stand in front of her. “What’s up?”

“I wanted to talk to you….” She silenced herself when she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

“Hey, Riane! It’s been a long time.” The voice of those footsteps appeared. Neil was buttoning up the front of his shirt and walked over to stand next to Joe. He put his left arm around her shoulder and then offered out his right hand to be shook.

Riane had never liked him. She met him on rare occasions and he always touched her hands, shoulders, and arms, even when she explained her anxiety issues to him. It was almost as if he was testing boundaries to see how much he could get away with. “I am not touching that.” Riane growled.

“Riane!” Joe barked her offense on Neil’s behalf, but he dropped his arm from her shoulder and took a step back.

Riane looked around the room and for the most part it was clean except for some clothes lying on the floor. She assumed they are what Joe had been wearing that morning, and it only verified for her further what she was seeing.

Ignoring her friend’s complaint as they both stood behind the couch, Riane looked at her best friend in the whole world and asked point blank. “Are you cheating on Dalen?”

“No, we have decided to have an open relationship.” She explained and kept a rather smug look on her lips, as if this was some sort of victory for her.

“We decided or you decided?” She was quick to ask and didn’t need anymore than the smugness being removed from her friend’s face to know the answer.

Joe seemed to open her mouth, but she didn’t form any words in response.

“I came here to talk to you about how poorly you treated Emma, and I had hoped to get you two to come to respect each other if not like one another. As it turns out, you just treat all my friends like shit.” Riane hissed.

“No, it’s not like that at all. Let me explain.” Joe pleaded.

“How long have you been a shitty person?” She asked before her friend could continue speaking.

The question caught Joe off guard, “What?”

“Have you always been and I never saw it because you were my only friend in the world? Or did you change when we moved here?” She folded her arms across her chest, as she tried to hide her white hot rage and pretend she rational or sane in those moments.

Neil could see Joe was shocked by the questions and thought he might offer a defense. “Riane, I think you are misunderstanding the situation.”

“Shut the fuck up, Neil!” Riane barked and turned her attention back to Joe. “Well, what have you got to say for yourself?”

“I am not sure what you want me to say.” Joe tossed her hands up in the air. “This wasn’t your decision to make. Dalen and I agreed to this, and you don’t get a say in our relationship.”

“No, but I get a say in the relationship between you and me. So, explain to me what part of who you are now do I want anything to do with?” Riane dropped her hands to her side.

Before Joe could respond the front door opened and Julian stepped inside. He shut the door behind him, blocking out the cold, before speaking. “I heard yelling. Is everything alright?”

Riane turned her back to the two she had been speaking with, in order to address the man she had come to emotionally rely on. “No, everything is not fine. Joe has forced Dalen into an open relationship, so she can fuck this piece of shit.” She used her thumb to point to the man behind her.

Julian looked up at Neil and then over to Joe, “I see.” They were the only words he could form without blowing up himself.

Neil stepped forward and grabbed Riane’s elbow, “Riane, I….”

“Don’t touch me!” Riane turned around and slapped his hand away. “I have told you hundreds of times to not put your hands on me! You fucking creep! Don’t ever touch me!”

Julian was quick to put himself between the man and his girlfriend, “Has Riane asked you not to touch her before?”

Neil didn’t know who this man was and looked over at Joe for assistance, but instead she looked panicked at the turn this situation had taken. He returned his attention to Julian, “I apologize. I touch before I think, and now that I am thinking about it, she does have an aversion to being touched. I am just a toucher.”

“You’re a toucher?” Julian scoffed, “How about I touch you then?” He threw the first punch which landed on Neil’s jaw, but Neil retaliated with a punch of his own. After being hit, Julian grabbed the man by his waist and they both fell over the couch and onto the floor together.

“Stop it, Julian!” Riane ordered in anger and walked around to the side of the couch.

Joe’s tone was one of terror as she walked around the couch as well, but she tried to pull off whichever man was on top of the other, as they rolled around. “Please, stop it!” She begged as the two punched and choked each other.

Julian was laying on his back on the ground and finally got his feet onto Neil’s chest, before shoving him off. Unfortunately, Neil’s trajectory was towards Riane, who didn’t have time to move. He stumbled into her before falling on top.

Hurrying to stand, Julian ran over to them and shoved the man off of her. “Are you alright? I am so sorry.” He told her as he watched her reach for her ankle.

-***-

“No, you dick! I twisted my ankle!” She stared down at her foot for a moment before trying to get up. Julian helped her to her feet before she shoved him away. “You both are fucking assholes!” She barked before heading out the door and towards the house.

Julian looked down at Neil who was laying on his back on the floor, but his head was up as he watched Riane leave. They both had bruises on their faces, cuts on their lips, and both were trying to catch their breath.

Joe stood in the middle of the room with her hand over her mouth. She could barely process what just happened and the decision to go to her friend or Neil remained a nagging question which didn’t allow her feet to move unless it was answered.

Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, Julian continued to stare down at the man on the floor. “You are not allowed on this property again, do you understand?”

Neil nodded his head.

Julian then turned his attention toward Joe, and when he spoke he used a tone that spewed hatred. “I knew you were worthless trash the moment I met you, but you were Riane’s best friend. I thought maybe she saw something in you that I would come to see. Turns out, Riane was forced to see what I always saw.”

Joe lowered her head to offer some semblance of shame. “I am sorry. This is very unprofessional of an employee.”

“Yeah, we’ll see how much of an employee you are after Riane cools down, won’t we?” Julian snapped, before heading towards the front door. Before leaving he looked back at Neil, “I mean it. I don’t care if you marry this bitch, never come on my property again!” With that he stepped outside and slammed the door behind him so hard a picture hanging on the wall beside it fell down.

Joe startled at the sound of the glass breaking, before she came to her senses and checked on Neil. “Are you alright?” She asked as she knelt down beside him.

Dalen sat in a coffee shop alone in the Demitasse Cafe at a corner table. The place wasn’t busy and it was basically just him, a couple baristas behind the counter, and one waitress. A few customers had come in for coffee, but most took it to go.

He stared down at his phone, reading the news, while he sipped his Turkish coffee. Though his thoughts were not on what he was reading.

He had called Seth, but his friend was with his new found girlfriend, so he had tried to invite Joe out. However, she wasn’t answering his calls and he didn’t know if it was because she was busy or angry with him. It was a question he was beginning to tire of asking himself.

The more he thought of what she had asked of him; the more angry he had become. He was the well to do one, she should be begging for his attention and not the other way around.

As he was lost in his irrational anger a knock came from the window beside him. He turned to his head to find Ivy smiling and waving at him. He motioned for her to come inside and she pointed at the door to which he nodded. Giving him the ok gesture, she came inside and walked over to his table.

“Hey, I haven’t seen you in a long while.” Ivy told him.

She looked a great deal better than the last time he had seen her. “Yeah, you are looking pretty healthy.”

“Thanks, I have been clean for a couple months now. After that whole debacle with Riane and Julian, I was so embarrassed.”

“Yeah, I apologize for that.” He sighed, “Let me buy you a coffee.”

Ivy looked around, “Nah, this doesn’t look like my scene.”

“Really, I think it suits you just fine. Sit down. Do you like mochas? They make them very creamy and add a lot of chocolate, and not that bitter stuff other places use.” He didn’t know why he was trying to sell her on the mocha so much, but it felt right to offer her something since she seemed uneasy in this environment.

Ivy sat down, “Sure, I’ll take a mocha.”

Dalen motioned towards the waitress who looked up at him from wiping down a table, “Can my friend here get a mocha with whip topping and chocolate shavings?”

“Of course.” The waitress told him as she headed over to put the order in with the barista.

“So, I heard you and Riane made up and are now friends.” He set his phone down, screen up, on the table.

“Eh, friends is too strong of a word, but we do text back and forth. I saw a bunch of pictures from your vacation. It looked like a lot of fun.” She smiled softly which was a gesture of happiness, but hers only seemed to offer sadness.

He returned the smile anyway, “It was a great deal of fun.”

She seemed to take a beat in order to find something to say. “Is Julian alright with me and Riane talking?”

“I don’t think Riane cares if he is alright with it. She kind of has a way of calming that temper of his.”

Ivy giggled, “Something I was never capable of doing.”

He nodded his head as the large white cup was placed in front of her. “No, you and Julian had a way of getting under each other’s skin and causing scenes. So many scenes.” He covered his face in embarrassment. “I’ve never been kicked out of a place before I started hanging out with the two of you.”

“Sorry.” Ivy said as she looked down at her coffee, then looked up at him then whispered. “How do I drink this without getting anything on my face?”

Dalen smirked, before he whispered back. “That’s what napkins are for.”

She grinned a genuine smile in those moments, then picked up the large cup and took a big chug of it. She had whipped cream on her upper lip and nose when she set it down. “It’s like a really bad Santa beard.” She laughed as she used the napkin on the table to wipe away the cream. “It’s good though.” She continued to laugh.

He couldn’t help but laugh along with her, but when the laughter subsided, he could see her sadness again. “Where are you working?”

“Same bar, same nightclub. It’s hard to maintain a clean lifestyle when you work at those places, but it is the only place that will hire me.” She shrugged, “I’ll figure something out eventually.”

“I can get you a job at Hurstmart. You have cashier experience, so you wouldn’t do stocking for more than a couple months.” He sipped his coffee.

“Thank you, but I want to get on my feet on my own.” She took another drink of her mocha and then wiped it off again as she stared at her drink for a moment. “Maybe if I got a spoon, I could eat it off the top. Like ice cream.”

“That’s why you keep failing.”

His words stopped her from trying to get the waitress’s attention, “Huh?” She slowly lowered her arm back to the table.

“You fell, you are injured, and you swat away any attempt someone offers to help you stand again, then you wonder why you keep falling back down. Do you know what the definition of crazy is?”

She shook her head.

“Doing the same thing over and over again then expecting different results. So, why don’t you try something different and let an old friend help you up. Just this once.” He put his hands together as if he was begging, “Please?”

Ivy shyly looked away as she smiled, “Alright, thank you, Dalen.” She cleared her throat, “But I want to ask you, because I don’t feel right with you just offering to me like I am a sad sack. So, I would appreciate if you could help me get a job at Hurstmart so I can get better. Please?”

“Well, I didn’t expect you to beg me like that.” He teased, “But alright if you really need my help.”

Ivy flipped him off briefly, before grinning delicately at him. “Thanks, though. I never expected you to help me after all you have seen me do.”

Dalen shrugged his shoulders, “I have a gift for forgiving and forgetting. Maybe it is a curse, you’ll have to show me.”

“I suppose I will.” She downed the rest of her mocha. “Thanks for this. I won’t be able to sleep until my next shift, but it was a really good treat.”

“You’re welcome. Are you in a rush to leave?”

She nodded her head, “I work two part time jobs and I have to get the sleep I need between them.” She stood up from the table.

“I am sorry, I didn’t know. I wouldn’t have invited you to stay if I did.” Dalen stood up with her and pulled out his wallet to leave a tip.

“No, not your fault. See you later.” She waved as she walked away, but stopped at the doorway. “Dalen?” She watched him look up from his wallet. “Thank you. A job there could really help.”

-***-

Julian had run around the house with a first aid kit in hand. He checked her bedroom first, then the living room and dining room, but Riane was no where to be found. She didn’t drive, so unless she went with someone else she had to be somewhere in the house. He was certain anyway that no one had been home for a couple hours.

“Riane!” He called out her name at the bottom of the stairs.

After a brief moment of panic, he remembered the first time he kissed her and how she told him she had her phone with her. Reaching into his pocket, he called her, but feared she would be angry with him and not pick up.

“What?” She snapped.

“Where are you?”

He could hear her scoff before she answered. “In the bathroom, I am trying to check on this rug burn I have on my back, but I can’t really see it.”

“Which bathroom?”

Again a sound of an annoyed sigh, “The one down the hall from my room. Don’t come in here though, I don’t have a shirt.”

Julian ascended the stairs while holding the first aid kit in one hand and his cellphone to his ear with the other. “So, I saw you in a swim suit. A bra is no different.” He hurried to the bathroom and kicked the door. “Open up.”

Riane hung up the phone and answered the door after a couple moments. She was wearing a towel wrapped around her chest and her jeans. “First aid kit? Really?”

Looking down at her feet, she was holding her right ankle up. “We can wrap it up, or I can take you to the hospital and they can wrap it up. Are you sure it isn’t broken?”

She shook her head, “It’s not broken.” She sighed as she stepped away from the door and sat down on the toilet seat’s fluffy covering.

The bathroom wasn’t a large one. It held a double sink, a toilet, a glass encased shower, and a bathtub. There were four bathrooms in the house in total. Bryce and she shared this one while Zack and Julian shared another down the hall. The third was in the master bedroom and there was finally one downstairs.

It was strange to share a bathroom with a man, but Bryce was clean and respectful. Though she kept her feminine hygiene products in her bedroom, just because it felt uncomfortable to leave them in here for him to find.

Julian knelt down in front of her and opened the kit to remove a bandage. He watched as Riane gently pulled off her sock and he realized how painful it must have been for her to remove her boot. “Are you sure you don’t want to go see a doctor?”

“If it doesn’t feel better in a couple days, then I will let you take me. Alright?” She snapped the question at him and watched him lower his head as he gently took her heel into his hand.

“Definitely going to get an ice pack from the freezer for you then.” Julian’s tone was full of shame and remorse. “I am very sorry, Riane.”

“You should be. You started that whole fight.” She was being harsh to him, but in her heart she felt warm. She liked seeing him care for her and look like a little boy being punished. It made her realize just how much he liked her and how much she liked him in return.

“I know and now I know you can get hurt too, I won’t fight anymore. I promise.” He told her as he gently wrapped the bandage around her ankle. “Tell me if it is too tight.”

“It’s supposed to be tight.” She couldn’t scold him anymore and merely grinned at him as he wrapped up her ankle.

When he was done, he looked up at her. “I’ll get an ice pack. Can you make it to your room?”

“Uh, you need to look at my back first. It’s like a fire back there.” She stood up and turned her back on him, before letting the towel drop and immediately covering her chest with her arms. “Is it bad?”

Julian’s felt even worse then he did before. She had some skin hanging from her back and it was red as well. “It’s some serious rug burn. Do you want me to pull the dead skin off?”

“That sounds disgusting, but yeah as long as it doesn’t hurt too much.” She waited for pain, but none came as her back was already one giant painful sore.

“I have some antibiotic spray. It’ll sting.” Julian told her as he pulled the bottle out of the first aid kit.

She held her tongue as the liquid met her back and realized she had forgotten to breathe, so she exhaled loudly.

“I don’t think I can do anything else for it.” He offered her shirt to her.

Riane took it and quickly pulled it back on, before Julian helped her to her bedroom where she lay on her side. He quickly left the room and returned with a blue ice pack which he placed on her ankle. She didn’t really think it would help through the bandage, but she didn’t want to suffer through it being unwrapped.

Julian laid down on his side on the bed so he could look at her. “I am really sorry, Riane.”

“I know.” She reached out her hand and moved some hair from his face. “What happened after I left?”

“I told that guy to never come back on this property again.” He reached up to hold the hand which was touching his face. “I’m so sorry.”

“I know, stop saying you are.” She chuckled as she squeezed his hand. “I forgive you.”

Julian brought her hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles, “Hey, I have a secret I think you should know.”

“Oh, and what is that?” Riane could see his spirits were lifting and this was definitely his mischief mode coming to play.

He scooted closer to her, and whispered, “I really like you a lot.”

Riane smiled and rolled her eyes, “Well, duh. You tell me that every day.” She teased. “Lame secret.”

“Oh, yeah, well how about actually, I lo….”

“Hey, I’m home.” Bryce announced at the doorway. Jealousy filled his heart as he saw the two on the bed together, and it was more annoying than ever. “Sorry, didn’t know you two were….doing whatever this is.”

Riane pointed to her ankle, “I twisted my ankle.”

Sitting up on the bed, Julian glared at his older brother as he realized the moment had passed.

“Are you alright?” Bryce asked as he stepped into the room and then looked at his brother. “What happened to your face?”

-***-

“So, I am to assume that guy was one of the residents of the big house?” Neil asked as Joe applied ointment to the wounds of his lips. He flinched whenever she pressed the cotton swap to harshly against his wound, though he didn’t want her to see he was in pain.

She nodded her head as they sat on the couch with a small translucent box on her lap. “Yeah, Riane’s fiance. Julian is hot headed, especially when it comes to Riane.” She explained as she put the cap back on the ointment tube before standing up to return her medicinal box to the bathroom and toss away the trash.

When she returned Neil was sitting quietly on the couch with his hands folded together. “I am really sorry. I can’t believe I got into a fight like that. I have never been in a serious fight in my life.”

“Like I said, Julian is a hot head.” She sat down on the couch beside him and sighed. “You should probably go, before Julian notices you are still here.”

Neil stood from the couch and put his hands in his jean pockets. “Maybe I should go apologize.”

Slowly she shook her head, “Julian would be in no mood and I highly doubt Riane would be welcoming.”

“I don’t want to be responsible for you losing your job.” He swallowed as he tried to stall so he could stay a bit longer. He could see Joe was very upset and he didn’t want to leave until he was certain she would be alright.

Resting her elbow on the back of the couch, she ran her hand through her hair. “It is what it is, Neil. You hit my boss’ kid, even if he did punch you first.”

“I’m sorry.”

Joe stood up and clasped her hands together, “It wasn’t all your fault. You heard Riane, she doesn’t even know if she wants to remain friends with me. That was before you even got into a fight.”

“You two have been inseparable for as long as I have known you. I am sure this is just a minor set back and things will return to normal.” He wanted to set forward and hug her, but he didn’t think it would be appropriate given the situation.

Joe once again shook her head, “No, things have been changing ever since we moved here. Riane has been a different person ever since Julian came into her life. I think this is the point where I am no longer needed.”

He opened his mouth to speak, but found his had no words of comfort.

“I think this proves once and for all, Riane and I are from two different worlds, and when I am no longer a necessity, no longer a tool for her, then she simply has no more use for me. I was just a playmate for a shy girl and then eventually a driver for a rich brat too afraid to learn to drive herself.” Joe tried to push down her tears though her anger was beginning to boil over.

Neil was surprised by her words, “No, I saw you two. I know you were very close. I highly doubt Riane saw you as a tool or just some servant to do her bidding. There was love there. Why else would she have been so mad at you today?”

“Because she only wants me to be the person I am in her mind, but when I show my true nature, when I become really me, she is appalled and acts as if I am some sort of monster.” She wiped away the tears with the back of her hand. “I am never allowed to make mistakes. I always have to be the perfect friend, or else.”

Neil decided to step forward and touch her shoulder, but Joe just shrugged him off and walked around to the back of the couch.

“Like I said, you should go before Julian realizes you are still here. Try to be quiet as you drive away.” She swallowed down a lump in her throat.

Picking up his jacket which had fallen on the floor in the fight, he put it on then pulled out his hat and gloves from the pocket. “I am really sorry all this happened, especially after having such a great experience before hand.”

Joe nodded her head, “It’s not tainted. I don’t blame you, besides if I get fired I’ll move back in with my mom. She probably won’t ban you from her house.” She chuckled slightly.

“Oh, good. I am not a big fan of being banned.” Neil laughed as he walked towards the door, but stopped and turned to look back at Joe. “Everything else aside, I had a good time today.”

“Me too.”

“I just think you should listen to Riane a little bit. If Dalen is someone you wanted, you wouldn’t have anything to do with me. I think you should ask yourself what you really want and why are you holding on to him.” He opened the door.

She was about to argue when he cut her off with a quick hand motion.

“No, don’t reply. Just take some time to think. I’ll be here either way.” He kissed her forehead. “Try to have a good day, and make up with your friend.”

The door closed and the chill which had gotten in caused goosebumps on her skin. Joe walked over to her couch and sat down. Her eyes looked over her living room and at the mess the two men had made in the scuffle.

Nothing was broken, but nothing was in its proper place anymore and that included her.

She thought of how Riane had looked at her and how she had asked those painful questions. As she thought, her memories took her back to her bedroom at their old home. She and Riane would play dress up, and they would talk and laugh for hours.

This new house held a bedroom, she had only visited a handful of times. She had lost her friend to Julian and she didn’t even know when it truly happened. Had she been left behind when Blake had been?

Resting her elbows on her thighs, she lowered her head and exhaled loudly, before speaking to herself. “Is this it, Joe? Are you just going to let it all happen? Just once more being the victim of other people’s decisions?”

Tears slowly rolled down her cheeks as she tried not to loudly cry, though her gasps and gulps were just as audible.

“No.” She mumbled to herself. “Julian doesn’t get to do this.” She stood from the couch and walked over to her purse, where she pulled out her cellphone.

Looking down at the screen, she stared at the name she was about to call for several long moments. She thought about whether or not she really wanted to do this. She knew if Riane ever found out then it would really be the end, but her emotion overpowered her logic.

She allowed her phone to dial the number and placed it to her ear. She heard a male voice say hello and ask her why she was calling. “Mister Nairne, I have something you need to hear. It’s about Riane.”

-***-

Blake sat on the couch with the news on the television. In his hand was his phone which he always left in the basket by the door, however since reconnecting with Riane he had changed his habit.

Instead of spending a nice quiet evening alone, he would send her text messages or if he felt brave enough he would call her. It was never for anyone else except Riane, and he simply ignored anything else that tried to come through.

He would have liked to pretend he didn’t understand why he was doing this, but the feelings were too obvious to ignore. After telling Riane about his hidden love for her, his heart could no longer shove them down and keep them from bubbling to the surface.

Of course, he knew full well Riane had a boyfriend now and he wasn’t a heartless bastard who would dare break them up.

All of this was simply wish fulfillment until his heart realized the cold truth of reality. Riane was in love with another man and he had long ago missed his window of opportunity.

He could see it in her eyes whenever Julian was near. They were the same eyes which used to look at him in such a manner, but now her eyes hold no wonder, no softness, and no revere when she looked upon him. They were simply the eyes of a friend.

It hurt deep into his soul to realize the awful mistake he had made, but he knew what had been done could not be changed. It was over for him and Riane, no matter how much he fantasied it could be different.

As he sat lost in thought, not paying attention to the news in the least, he heard a knock at the door, followed by the doorbell chiming.

Standing up from the couch, he couldn’t imagine who would be coming to visit him on a weekend night. He prayed it wasn’t Adonia as he couldn’t deal with her brand of crazy at the moment.

Looking through the peephole, his heart would had been aching moments before, was now raising and trying to escape his chest. Not in excitement, but in fear for what the visitor could possibly want from him.

Opening the door, Blake cleared his throat before speaking, “Mister Nairne, what do I owe the pleasure?”

“May I?” Simon pointed towards the center of his apartment, meaning he wanted to step inside.

“Of course.” Blake stepped aside and allowed Riane’s father inside. He shut the door and watched as Simon took off his coat and gloves, before handing them over to Blake to put away.

He hung the jacket on his coat rack, before motioning for Simon to sit down on the couch.

Simon sat down and waited for Blake to take a seat at the other end. “I assume you and my daughter are still friends.”

“Yes, sir.” Blake answer immediately. He had always been afraid of her father as he didn’t approve of their friendship due to the gender difference. In fact, Simon had thrown him out of the house multiple times for mistaking certain activities for being sexual when they were in fact innocent.

“I am too proud of a man to ask her how she is doing. Since she moved out, she hasn’t tried to contact me in any way. I know Deidra sneaks around to allow Russell to talk to her, but I have pretended not to notice. Therefore, I am without a source to find out anything about my daughter.” Simon explained as he crossed one ankle over his knee and tossed one arm over the back of the couch.

Blake wasn’t certain what he was asking of him, “If you are asking how she is, then she is doing very well. She is very happy, and I dare say, sir, the Swithins have been a good influence on her.” He heard himself selling his heart away to another man, but this was about his friend right now and her happiness.

“Have they?”

The question felt very much like a trap, so he merely nodded his head. He had known Simon a very long time, and the man had never once come to visit him or tried to have a conversation with him one on one.

“You know, Blake, I often thought you and Riane would end up together. I mean, I did make enough fuss over it to make it forbidden fruit. Yet, you and Riane remained friends and nothing more.”

Once again, Blake had no idea how to respond to this man and decided his best course of action was to remain quiet.

Coughing briefly into his hand, Simon looked around the apartment. “Nice place, you have here. If not bland.”

“Thank you.” Blake decided Riane’s father was simply beating around the bush now, and he wanted to get back to texting Riane. “Sir, if I may ask, what is this business pertaining to?”

“Yes, I suppose I should just come out and say it.” Simon leaned back against the couch. “I got an interesting phone call from Joe not long ago. She sounded upset so I assumed she and Riane have gotten into a fight. Therefore, I wanted to verify the information she has given to me.” He watched the young man in front of him deflate briefly.

“I see. Wouldn’t it be better to contain Riane, instead of putting me in the middle of their spat?” He really didn’t want any part of this, but the man frightened him quite a bit.

Simon nodded his head, “I should, but as I said, I am too proud.” Leaning forward, he planted his feet on the ground and put his elbows on his knees before folding his hands. “Joe tells me Riane has changed her major, are you aware of this?”

Blake nodded his head.

“Are you aware it was to music?”

Again, he nodded.

“And she did this at the behest of the Swithin matriarch?”

He cleared his throat, and tried to sit up straighter in case he had to argue for Riane. “She did encourage her to go after her dreams, yes, sir.”

“I see.” Simon stood up and walked around the couch. He took his jacket from the coat rack and put it on. “Riane knows I have forbidden her from having such a major, and I informed Colin of the same.”

Blake stood from the couch to face him, “Does it matter? She is marrying someone who will no doubt work in his family business or in corporate. Can’t she go after her dream?”

Simon put on his gloves, “There are reasons for my decision. Good night, Mister Driscol.” He said firmly before opening the door and leaving the apartment.

Blake looked down at his phone and thought to warn Riane of what just occurred, but he feared she would blame him. Instead, he put his phone in the basket by the door.

Next Chapter: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=525

Leave Comments at: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=524